While students are highly discouraged from missing school for reasons other than illness, family emergencies or special events sometimes necessitate travel out of the area. In order to avoid penalties for missing class for these reasons, students must contract to do work during the period of the absence. Pre-Informed Independent Study Contracts must meet strict California State guidelines in order to result in excused absences.
- Short term Independent Study (IS) needs to be a minimum of 5 days and a maximum of 20 days.
- Written request must be made at least one week in advance. Parent is responsible to come in person to get contract and receive the criteria.
- IS will not be approved the first and the last week of each semester. All finals must be taken at the school site.
- Work must be returned 5 days after coming back from IS.
- IS will not be approved if:
- student has 5 or more unexcused absence in any single period.
- student has 2 or more F grades.
- Partial attendance credit will be given for partial work turned in to teacher. Senior students need to be aware that this could affect senior activities, including graduation ceremony.